This is a tasty, cream-based soup with beef and potatoes. It is definitely a comfort soup for those chilly winter days.
Write a review
- 1/2 to 3/4 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 t basil
- 1 t parsley
- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4-5 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cubed cheese to add to soup or shredded cheese to sprinkle on top.
- In a large pot, brown the beef with onion and garlic. Add salt and pepper. (Some cooks would include chopped celery and carrots too, but that's not a favorite in our house).
- Add basil, parsley, potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter and add flour to make a roux. Once combined, add the milk and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk sauce to the large pot. Bring to a boil again and reduce to simmer.
- Optional additions: Add sour cream and cheese and heat the soup through.
- The first time I ever heard of hamburger/cheeseburger soup was up here in the NW. Brent's uncle made this soup for us and I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor. It's taken me awhile, but I have finally replicated the idea.
My Handy Family https://myhandyfamily.com/